- People who have never heard of LonelyGirl15
- People who have heard of her, but don’t really care
- The rest of us who are rather entertained or obsessed
If you’re in the first two categories you probably skipped this post. Or you’re looking for a good reason to stop reading. Well stop. Nothing here for you. Off you go.
The rest of you will love this Wired article that explores the Secret World of LonelyGirl15. It’s jam packed with all of the “behind the scenes” information we’ve long craved. Some highlights:
- Mesh Flinders, a 27 year old, is the originator of LonelyGirl15. It’s his apartment in Beverly Hills that has become the set for the popular YouTube gal. He’s joined by Miles Becket, a plastic surgean in training.
- Bree is played by actress Jessica Rose. She declined the offer to be LonelyGirl15 initially. She finally agreed to work for free, and the founders later gave her $500 a week to keep her from waitressing (lest she become revealed).
- The team makes about $10K a month on its website a month. Obviously they’re looking for more significant ways to commercialize on the fame.
- The e-mails you might get from Bree are actually the voice of Amanda Goodfried, the wife of Flinder’s attorney. Amanda was an attorney’s assistant at Creative Artists Agency.
- My favorite quote: “The Web isn’t just a support system for hit TV shows,” Becket says. “It’s a new medium. It requires new storytelling techniques. The way the networks look at the Internet now is like the early days of TV, when announcers would just read radio scripts on camera. It was boring in the same way all this supplemental material is boring.”
The LonelyGirl15 storyline is starting to get a bit more dramatic. I just caught up on the recent episodes and I think they’re on the hunt for a man with one arm.