In a recent WillVideoForFood Forum post, I invited people to submit their “must read” blogs and websites on the subject of online video. As you can imagine, it’s very difficult to find these on Google.
Here’s an initial list, and I’m going to be making a video featuring the best sources. So please let me know what else you read and find indispensable for learning about online-video: industry news, production tips, monetization methods, etc.
Note- some of you regular contributors have really interesting blogs (Marquis, Jan, FallofAutumn), but aren’t necessarily on the topic of online video or are niche. I’ll do a separate “shout out” for websites by my favorite readers and contributors to WillVideoForFood.com!
Here’s my draft list… If you have a related blog, don’t hesitate pimping your website in the comments below. Note that I also read many of the blogs done by online-video sites, but those are also a different category.
- Inside Online Video by Mike Abundo: Often the first to report on new trends and site features.
- OnlineVideoWatch (sorry I missed that site, which is now in my RSS).
- ReelPop by Steve Bryant, a columnist and editor living in New York, NY.
- Cinematech by Scott Kirsner, who wrote “The Future of Online Video.” CinemaTech focuses on how new technologies are changing cinema – the way movies get made, discovered, marketed, distributed, shown, and seen.
- Usertainment Blog, written by Lester Craft Jr., a veteran technology-business journalist.
- NewTeeVee– a few of you suggested adding that one.
- The Daily Reel has good coverage on the space and is developing a community.
- Fred Graver Blog, written by the guy that once helped ABC/Disney to explore “Telefusion.”
- Mashable, a site for social networking news.
- Web Video Doctor, for tips and tricks to help make better web videos.
- ViralBlog, collaborative team of bloggers haunt the globe for great virals.
- System Video Blog by Ken McCarthy
- StreamingMedia Blog is a bit “techie” for me, but has some nice info. Written by Dan Rayburn.
- Xlntads is a website that connects marketers, advertisers and amateurs, and has a nice relatively new blog written by Mark Schoneveld.
- WebVideoZone is a terrific resource by Joe Chapuis. Parts are “members only.”
- Less of a blog, but this “Online Video Industry Index” has a nice link of online video sites.
- WillVideoForFood (how can I not list myself? Note that I’m not here anymore.
- NewsVideographer for journalists looking to leverage online video.
- ReelSEO– how to optimize your videos for SEO.
- Gadget News: Lots of topics, including online video.
- Ronamok, by Ron the New Media Evangalist
- Hot Air, a new media conservative something or another that is really interesting. Founded by Michelle Malkin.
- Web Video Report: The bizzzness of online video
- MathewWingram: The intersection between web and media.
- Scobleizer.com: Not just about online video, but mentions it a lot.
- Camcorder Info: More than you’d expect from a blog attached to a camcorder site.