I may be on vacation, but I’ve learned a lot in the past 24 hours since I was featured on YouTube (with Viral Video Genius). Let me share these with WillVideoForFood readers…
- YouTubers think this is a “you’ve made it” move, and I’ve received dozens of really encouraging notes from folks. The people in the breakfast room at our Marriott hotel are not nearly as impressed. Neither is my family.
- The comments on a feature video bring out the best and worst of people. I’m either brilliant or you want to (deficate) in my mouth. Yum.
- There’s a proliferation of comment spam. Here’s one I’ve seen way too often:
please don’t read this!
In 1945,a young girl named katu lata kulu came over to America in a grey boat from Africa. A mysterious man killed her by cutting the word “LATUALATUKA” into her back. now that you have read this measge she will come to your house on a full moon and steal your soul unless you follow these directions. Retype this message as a comment for three other videos.
- There are a lot of shameless self-promoters out there. I got dozens of video responses that are totally unrelated to my video. I’m in the process of politely declining those (and contacting the creators) unless they’re extremely funny. A few have been related to my video, and that’s really enjoyable.
- Clever self promoters are tagging their videos with my exact tags so their video appears as a related video.
- For reasons I can’t explain, the view count is stuck at 84K views. But at least the ratings are holding up. Usually featured videos get eaten alive by commenters since it’s very hard to find something that will appeal to everyone. I was warned by a few people that had been previously featured so I was ready for that.
- You find a bunch of cool video makers because the funny comments make you curious. So you start clicking their name and subscribing to them. A clever response prompts way more curiosity than “LOL- come look at my videos.”
- Your older videos pop mildly, but very few will go back in time to see many of them. I wonder if anyone will notice if I rerun some.
- Your subscription list grows dramatically. Hopefully those subscribers won’t be dissappointed with my regular stuff.
- The best part about being featured is that your have a good viewer base for your future videos. Instead of waiting months for them to be seen by more than 100 people, they automatically get views and feedback.
- Most of all I learned that persistence pays. As much as I’d like to pretend getting featured wasn’t a goal… it was. Now I need a new goal. Like getting one of my videos seen for a second time on Eefoof.
- One of my most vocal subscribers, TrippleHelix urged me to rest now. He’s got a point. I am on vacation. And if God can rest on the 7th day, maybe too can the viral video genius. See- I was in character there. You knew that, right?