Just stumbled into this article by John Leland from a Jan. 1997 article in Videography magazine. Title: Making Money with Online Video.
Check out some highlights. This is almost a decade old!
- What relevance do the Web’s financial realities (virtual and otherwise) have for video professionals?
- One very lucrative site that has proven the viability of using the web to create a unique transaction environment is the online bookstore, Amazon.com. If you haven’t heard of it, you should check it out.
- …web advertising revenue can also be considered an ancillary revenue opportunity, and in today’s developing market it should not be expected to carry the whole revenue “ball.”
- Immersive experiences like films and long-form videos will continue to be served better by TV and VHS distribution channels.
- I believe that major new online business opportunities requiring the expertise of professional videographers are already emerging. For example, video enhanced dating services or real estate listings can offer low-resolution pictures that provide value with “decision quality” compressed footage.
- This reality makes investing in the web more like investing in a marketing campaign, a new video deck or a better phone system than it is like investing in a new “miracle” cash cow.